Mixed File


CRAs (short for Credit Reporting Agencies) strive to keep correct up-to-date information as they avoid spoiling credit reports with unreliable data. Although fixing credit file is always possible, credit reporting errors cost a lot and tarnish agency’s image, as they might lead to legal actions. 

Furthermore, they can result in credit score decrease and keep an individual with actually great credit score from obtaining credit. After all, Credit Reporting Agencies want to present themselves to their clients as having the most accurate up-to-date information out there.

As you see, CRAs have many reasons to keep their credit report data relevant.

However, credit reporting mistakes happen nonetheless. According to FTC (short for Federal Trade Commission), there are almost 40 000 000 errors in credit reports, both major and minor.

While most of them are easy to correct, some will turn out to be real challenges. Mixed credit file is one of them.

If you are looking for credit report file fix in New York, contact our attorneys at Cohen & Mizrahi LLP.


Mixed file is credit report containing data of two individuals at once. As a result, creditor might receive a report that contains personal information (with or without credit histories) of two persons as if they are one.

In most cases, it happens when CRAs incautiously mix these files due to similar names, addresses, SSNs, dates of birth and other kinds of identifying information. As expected, in many cases (although not all of them) victims of mixed files are relatives with similar names.

If you credit report seems mixed, contact CRA to fix errors.


Mixed files can lead to many different problems.

A lender might deny your credit due to false information you have sent him.

It may appear to a lender that a borrower carries too heavy of a debt burden, committed crimes, is disabled or even bankrupt. This can turn out to be rather embarrassing and even humiliating. While all this information will be accurate for another person that your credit report has been merged with, creditor will have no clue about it. And if in the case of denial you might learn the reasoning behind it, you may stay oblivious if lender does not reject your application but simply offers undesirable terms.

As many other legal problems, mixed files lead to great losses of time and energy, emotional distress and even health decline.

Because of consumer not being able to manage how his or her personal data is distributed, as credit reporting agency sends and copies his or her credit report whenever the other person asks for it, invasion of privacy takes place.

Mixed files almost always complicate financing application. While inaccurate data might seem beneficial at a first glance, it may lead to DTI (short for Debt-To-Income Ratio) issues down the road due to additional liabilities and accounts.


To fix mixed file immediately, the accounts that do not contain information related to you must be removed by the credit reporting agency. The wrong data should be suppressed in order to prevent it from leaking back into your credit file.

Once you have figured out that your credit report has been merged with somebody else’s, do not hesitate to start a dispute with credit reporting agency. Point out all the information that has nothing to do with you. Suggesting the person that this information belongs to can ease and speed up the process quite a lot, so do it if you have any ideas.

The CFPB (short for Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) tells mixed files victims to write two letters to dispute an error.

1. Get in touch with Credit Reporting Agency.

Contact either Transuinon, Experian or Equifax.

If you are to send dispute by mail, the following information should be included:

  • Your full name

  • Your current address

  • Your current phone number

  • Number of the account in question

  • Clear indications of errors

  • Cause of this dispute

  • Request for removal or correction of inaccurate data

Describe what exactly seems incorrect to you and why. Attach copies of papers, receipts, credit report with incorrect information highlighted and any other document to support your argument.

Please, do not send original documents, but only copies.

Send the letter with copied documents by certified mail. Request a return receipt in order to have evidence that the letter has been received.

CRA has thirty days to investigate your dispute.

2. Get in touch with data furnisher.

Furnishers are the companies that provide CRAs with information. They include banks, lenders, collection agencies, credit card companies and many others.

Tell the company that had misinformed CRA you have started a dispute.


If you have become a victim of mixed files, Cohen & Mizrahi LLP will be great assistance for you, as our attorneys have brought legal action against major CRAs.

Contact us for free advice on your case. We will charge you no lawyer’s fees until we win money in legal action. Keep in mind that action at law may lead to other expenses.


Contact us to schedule a consultation.
phone icon 929-575-4171

contact us
  • icon 1


    300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor Brooklyn, New York 11201

  • icon 2


    147-38 70th Road Flushing, NY 11367